Ahhh Sunday – a day to relax and relish in the final hours of the weekend. My Sundays always have an early, albeit lazy and slow, start (in attempt to get my sleep schedule back on track for the week ahead) supplemented with copious amounts of coffee. I spend the waking hours in the dark, bundled in blankets on the couch, working away at my laptop until the sun comes up.
Then I either spend the morning in the kitchen testing recipes with my camera around my neck capturing tasty images in the morning sunlight or behind the computer screen writing and editing. Midmorning I attempt to wake my better half with the aromas of brunch and bring breakfast to bed so I can’t be ignored. It’s time to get up and go grocery shopping. Every Sunday we tackle the busy aisles and capitalize on weekly sales together. Believe it or not, we are the best supermarket shoppers. We know every sale, coupon and deal there is at our local grocery store – it’s the only way to keep this seemingly expensive healthy pantry, budget-friendly. Week after week, I look forward to dispelling the myth that healthy food is expensive – I swear it’s some kind of weird dietitian thrill.
I spent the morning today perfecting this 5-ingredient raspberry lemon chia seed jam. This jam is hands down, one of my favorite things in 2017 thus far. There’s something about the fresh taste, impressive omega-3 and fiber-rich nutrition profile, and thick jelly-like seedy texture that I have fallen head over heels for.
This recipe uses five simple ingredients and features frozen fruit, so you can easily make it on a whim. The sweet flavors of the berries pair perfectly with the tartness of the lemon and the chia seeds not only act as a thickener, but also provide a subtle crunch.
Use this jam on morning toast, in a PB&J sandwich, mixed into a bowl of oatmeal, atop a stack of pancakes or waffles, and even layered in a yogurt parfait!
5-Ingredient Raspberry Lemon Chia Jam
vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, shellfish-free, fish-free, nightshade-free, bean & legume-free
Makes: ~2 cups | Serving Size: 2 Tbsp
- 1 ½ cup frozen raspberries
- 1 ½ cup frozen strawberries
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- In a small saucepan, combine raspberries, strawberries, lemon zest, lemon juice, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Heat over high heat until mixture begins to boil – about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in chia seeds.
- Simmer, stirring constantly, breaking up the larger berries with the back of your spoon or spatula, for 15 minutes until mixture has thickened.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a glass container or jar. Cool completely at room temperature.
- Refrigerate in an air-tight container for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 2 months.
Looking for more ways to use chia seeds? Try this Cherry Lime Chia Fresca, these Chocolate Chia Energy Bars or this Chocolate Chia Smoothie!