Football season is finally here! There’s something about the crisp fall weather and friends coming together to cheer on their favorite team that’s simply magical. And then there’s the food. Oh man, the food. Football parties are notorious for unhealthy food – you’ve got your fried chicken wings, loaded baked potatoes and pigs wrapped in blankets. Wash it all down with a few beers and you’re bound to have a rough morning the next day.
Meat-based front runners generally steal the thunder of the football party spread while healthy veggies take a backseat in the form of dried out celery hidden under chicken wings or an untouched veggie tray with boring ranch dressing. But not any longer! In effort to give plants the spotlight they deserve, below are a few mouth-watering plant-based game day recipes to get you excited about eating fruits and veggies during the football season.
- Baked Buffalo Cauliflower Sliders by Chocolate for Basil – With a texture surprisingly close to the texture of breaded chicken and topped with creamy Greek yogurt blue cheese dressing and crunchy slaw, these baked cauliflower sliders are the ultimate game day snack!
- Life-Affirming Warn Nacho Dip by Oh She Glows – This is one of my game day favorites year after year and it’s always a crowd pleaser! You would never know there isn’t a lick of dairy or oil hiding in this mouthwatering hot-out-of-the oven dip.
- Cinnamon Sugared Apple Fries by Potluck at Oh My Veggies – Don’t forget the fruit at your football party! Sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar, these apple slices are served with a dairy-free vanilla coconut milk dipping sauce.
- Party-Sized Jackfruit Nachos by Fettle Vegan – These are no ordinary nachos. Surprise your guests with this recipe featuring pulled jackfruit (a starchy, fibrous tropical fruit with a mild flavor similar to an apple) and cauliflower queso – whoa.
- Tofu Spinach Artichoke Dip by No Recipes – Swap that classic high-calorie spinach dip for this high-protein, tofu-based dip instead!
- Loaded Mediterranean Street Fries by Pinch of Yum – Skip the chili cheese fries and munch on this nutritious alternative! These street cart fries feature all of the fresh ingredients from a of a Greek salad loaded atop sweet potato fries.
- Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese by Kitchen Treaty – Comfort food at its finest and choke full of veggies! Free of nutritional yeast and cashew cream, this dairy-free macaroni and cheese is made with seasonal sweet potatoes and butternut squash.
- Lentil Sloppy Joes by Minimalist Baker – This sweet, savory, smoky plant-based sandwich is just as sloppy and easy to make as traditional joes.
- Caramelized Onion Dip by Hot for Food – Replace that traditional sour cream-based onion dip for one that’s a bit more nutritious! Soaked cashews and caramelized onions and shallots are blended together to make this creamy dip perfect for veggies and potato chips.
Looking for more? Try these Tzatziki Smothered Sweet Potatoes, Spiced Mixed Nuts and Pumpkin Pie Energy Bites!