Memorial Day weekend is for grilling. These country fried steak fingers and gravy are for all of the other summer nights. This is where diner chicken fried steak meets poolside finger food. Prepare to be addicted…and embarrassingly eating the gravy dipping sauce with a spoon. Guilty.
Spoiler alert – chicken fried steak isn’t actually chicken. It’s beef. Cube steak to be exact. Cube steak is usually top round steak that has been tenderized fiercely with a meat tenderizer. Thankfully you can rely on the meat department at your local supermarket to do all the work – unless you need a killer arm workout of course.
These country friend steak fingers are made with the BEST gluten-free batter – the perfect combination of corn meal, corn starch and gluten-free all-purpose flour.
And the sausage gravy dipping sauce…you guys…this GRAVY is my new favorite thing. If only it was socially acceptable to eat gravy with a spoon… The cashew cream base of this gravy makes it dairy free and so incredibly thick and creamy.
Country Fried Steak Fingers
gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, seed-free, sugar-free, shellfish-free, fish-free, bean & legume-free
serves 4 (about 16-20 fingers)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup corn meal
- ½ cup gluten-free mix flour
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 1 ¼ lb cube steak, cut into strips (make sure to cut against the grain)
- 1-2 cups canola or sunflower oil
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and Worcestershire sauce.
- In a large gallon-sized zip-close bag, combine corn meal, flour, corn starch, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Dunk steak strips – working in batches – into egg mixture and shake off excess.
- Place strips in bag with flour mixture and toss until well coated.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until oil reaches 375*F.
- Fry strips – 3-4 at a time – in oil for 5 minutes each.
- Remove from oil and cool on wire rack.
Cashew Cream Sausage Gravy
gluten-free, grain-free, soy-free, dairy-free, peanut-free, seed-free, sugar-free, shellfish-free, fish-free, bean & legume-free
Makes 2 cups
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 4 hours and drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp ground pepper
- In a blender, combine cashews and 1 ½ cup vegetable broth and blend until smooth.
- In a skillet heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add onion mixture to blender and blend until smooth.
- In an empty skillet over high heat, cook sausage for 5 minutes until broth and crispy.
- Return cashew contents to skillet with sausage and whisk over low heat until combined.
- Whisk in ½ cup broth, lemon juice, thyme and pepper. Cook for another couple minutes until heated through and thickened.
Looking for more summer dinner ideas? These Dr. Pepper Ribs and Chicken Cobb Salad are two of my favorite go-to recipes every year!