March is National Nutrition Month and we have delicious spring green recipes to help you celebrate!
NNM is a nutrition education and information campaign aimed at bringing attention to the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits. In light of this year’s NNM theme, Savor the Flavor of Eating Right (and in lieu of St. Patrick’s Day), I have rounded up several superfood-rich green recipes to inspire you to eat healthy all month long!
- Avocado Pesto Chickpea Salad Sandwiches by Edible Perspective – This vegan spring lunch recipe is the perfect substitute for traditional chicken or tuna salad. The salad features a combination of green ingredients like pistachios, avocado and fresh basil pressed between two pieces of whole grain bread and topped with fresh spring sprouts.
- Spring Greens Soup by The Awesome Green – Spring soups are all about the greens! This creamy soup is made with broccoli, watercress, spinach and mint to create a vibrant and nutrient-loaded meal.
- Superpowered Avocado Toast by Goop – Avocado toast is a dietitian essential, but this spring green version takes it to a whole new level. With avocado, shaved cucumber, mint, lemon, chili and feta, this avocado toast is a must this season!
- Roasted Broccoli Salad with Pine Nuts, Raisins and Feta by Yummy Beet – Nothing says spring quite like a green broccoli slaw. This recipe can be served warm or cold and brings together all the right flavors and textures with crunchy broccoli, nutty pine nuts, sweet raisins and creamy feta.
- Green Smoothie with Chocolate Buckwheat Crispies by The Green Life – Trade in your Shamrock Shake for this superfood green smoothie! Cucumber and kale give this smoothie its beautiful color and impressive nutrient profile, and fiber-rich chocolate buckwheat crispies take the place of traditional chocolate chips!
- Super Green Smoothie Bowl by Gather and Feast – If you prefer your smoothie in a bowl, this one is for you. The sweetness of Medjool dates and the nuttiness of Brazil nuts pair nicely with the dark green flavors of spinach and spirulina.
- The Mean Green Detox Salad by Half Baked Harvest – For a heartier meal, toss all your greens in a bowl and garnish with lemon tahini dressing and vegan Parmesan cheese. This salad has a complex flavor profile that features all of our green favorites – kale, broccoli, cabbage, cilantro, parsley and avocado with bonus ingredients like crunchy chickpeas and grapefruit segments.
- Green Goddess Hummus by Cookie and Kate – This ultra-creamy hummus uses classic green goddess dressing herbs like parsley, tarragon and chives to give it a beautiful spring green color!
- Coconut Matcha Energy Bars by Grateful Grazer – These bars get their color by antioxidant-rich green tea powder! With a combination of almonds, cashews, hemp seeds, coconut flakes and cacao nibs, these bars make the perfect afternoon superfood snack.
Find more resources about National Nutrition Month at eatright.org.