Ok friends, you love avocados and we do to. As promised in my Avocado Peanut Butter Ball post, my love for avocados continues today with these one-of-a-kind raw avocado grasshopper bars!
Because I can’t make it through a single day without a small sweet treat (problem or blessing? I choose the later.), I try to create desserts that pack a nutritional punch so that I won’t feel guilty about indulging later. I’ve never encountered a naturally green food that doesn’t instantly make me feel healthier (am I right?). So in the spirit of green, nutritionally dense desserts and avocados, let’s get cooking!
My favorite thing about these bars is the variety of textures. From the crunchy fudge topping and peppermint frozen center to the chewy chocolate base, what’s not to love?
Avocado Grasshopper Bars
vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, soy-free, dairy-free, peanut-free, seed-free, shellfish-oil, fish-free, nightshade-free, bean & legume-free
Makes 12 bars
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 avocado
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 4 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 banana
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- Pinch salt
- ½ coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Line a 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place almonds, dates, cocoa powder, maple syrup and vanilla in a food processor. Process until contents begin to stick together and form a ball adding water as needed.
- Press chocolate crust into pan evenly (I used a pastry roller to create an even layer). Place pan in freezer to set while you prepare the peppermint filling.
- Rinse out food processor. Add filling ingredients to the food processor and process until smooth. Taste and add more maple syrup or peppermint extract for desired sweetness and minty flavor.
- Pour peppermint filling over chocolate crust and spread evenly in the pan. Return to freezer while you prepare the fudge topping.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the coconut oil, cocoa powder, maple syrup, salt and vanilla and stir until completely melted.
- Pour the fudge topping over peppermint filling, tilting to pan to ensure an even layer. Return the bars to the freezer.
- Freeze bars overnight.
- When ready to serve, remove bars from the freezer and let sit for 5 minutes at room temperature before cutting with a warm knife.
Bring on the green! You can even cut these bars into bite-sized pieces to share with guests at your next party. However, keep in mind that if you let these sit for too long at room temperature though, they will start to melt!