After making these delicious Rye Poppy Seed Dinner Rolls from The Nordic Diet back in January, I decided to revisit the cookbook for more recipe inspiration this week! After practicing my Dutch unsuccessfully in trying to pronounce Smørrebrød (the Danish word referring to an open-faced sandwich), I decided my time was better spent in the kitchen – enter my favorite breakfast this week, cottage cheese toast!
Creamy cottage cheese, crunchy cucumbers and delicious fresh chives served up on a crusty piece of pumpernickel toast – what’s not to love?!
Cottage Cheese Toast
vegetarian, soy-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, sugar-free, shellfish-oil, fish-free, bean & legume-free
Adapted from The Nordic Diet cookbook
- 3 cups full fat or 2% cottage cheese
- 1 cucumber, seeded, peeled and chopped
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh chives, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 slices of rye or pumpernickel bread, toasted
- In a bowl, combine cottage cheese, tomatoes, cucumber, chives, salt and pepper.
- Top bread with mixture and enjoy as an open-faced sandwich.
250 calories|30g carbohydrate|6g fat|18g protein
I love to make a big batch of this at the beginning of the week and store it in my fridge. Every morning I just toast my bread, top it with the cottage cheese mixture and viola, an instant well-balanced breakfast that’s high in fiber and protein!
What are you loving for breakfast lately?