Looking to celebrate Mardi Gras without all of the extra calories? These tasty and nutritious recipes will leave you feeling satisfied without affecting your waistline. Trade in your beignets, paczkis and king cakes for one of these healthy Mardi Gras recipes!
- Simple Roasted Garlic Cauliflower and Potatoes by Jeanette’s Healthy Living – Use green, gold and purple cauliflower to represent faith, power and justice this year. Combine with olive oil, garlic and sage and you have the perfect side dish for any Mardi Gras meal!
- Creole Spice-Toasted Nuts by Recipe.com – Coated in hot sauce, Worcestershire and Creole seasoning, these easy-to-prepare pecans can be made ahead of time. The sweet and spicy ingredients pack a flavorful punch that you won’t be able to walk away from!
- Roasted Sweet Potato and Okra Salad by Food & Wine – Toasted mustard seeds and a caper vinaigrette give this unique blend of sweet potatoes, orka and spinach a delicious nutty and tangy flavor.
- Gumbo-laya by The Cozy Apron – Turn up the heat with this tasty blend of spicy sausage, chicken and shrimp! Nothing says Louisiana cooking like the audioulle sausage, okra, and Creole seasoning in this bold and flavorful dish.
- Shrimp Boil for Four by Bev Cooks – Nothing is easier than a shrimp boil. Simply throw everything in a pot and viola! Combine ketchup, Greek yogurt and horseradish to create a dipping sauce that your guests will never forget!
- Mardi Gras-Rita by Home is Where the Boat Is – Mardi Gras wouldn’t be complete without a cocktail. With layers of lime, mango and pomegranate, this unique margarita packs a hidden nutritional punch!
I’m wishing I was in New Orleans today enjoying the warmer weather. Remember when I ran the New Orleans Mardi Gras Half Marathon in 2011?
What your favorite healthy Mardi Gras recipe?