What could be better than homemade Nutella mixed into a frothy coconut milk mocha? I’m pretty sure nothing. This rich and decadent warm beverage could easily be an after dinner dessert! Or just an afternoon treat to help keep warm during this frigid snowy Chicago winter.
Along with the delicious flavor, this warm winter beverage also offers a little nutritional boost! Coconut oil contains antimicrobial lauric acid which helps increase HDL (good) cholesterol. Coconut milk offers a variety of vitamins and minerals including vitamin E and C which support a healthy immune system. Hazelnuts (also known as filberts) contain flavonoids that support brain health and improve circulation. Finally, cacao is a great source of antioxidants and even contains important vitamins and minerals like magnesium and iron. With all of these nutrient-dense ingredients, this is a warm winter drink you won’t want to miss!
vegetarian, gluten-free, grain-free, soy-free, dairy-free, peanut-free, seed-free, shellfish-oil, fish-free, nightshade-free, bean & legume-free
Makes about 1 cup
Serving size: 2 Tbsp
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cacao powder
- 3/4 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- 1 tsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Roast hazelnuts on a baking sheet for 15 minutes or until the skins have become dark and crisp.
- Put the roasted nuts inside a damp kitchen towel and rub them together until all of the skins fall off.
- Place hazelnuts in a food processor and process until creamy (about 5-10 minutes) scraping down the sides of the container periodically.
- Add the honey, cacao powder, coconut milk, coconut oil, vanilla and salt. Process until smooth adding more milk if needed.
83 calories|6g carbohydrate|6g fat|1g protein|53g sodium|5g sugar
Now, mix up the magic…
Coconut Nutella Mocha
vegetarian, gluten-free, grain-free, soy-free, dairy-free, peanut-free, seed-free, shellfish-oil, fish-free, bean & legume-free
- 1 Tbsp homemade Nutella
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup strong coffee (or one shot of espresso)
- pinch of cayenne
- pinch of cacao powder
- Whisk together Nutella and coconut milk in a large coffee mug until frothy.
- Slowly add the coffee.
- Top with a pinch of cayenne and cacao powder.
251 calories|14g crabohydrate|20g fat|1g protein|25g sugar|11g sodium
Enjoy, smile, and stay warm!