Forget delivery and create a healthy pizza of your own! White or red sauce, meat lovers of vegetarian, there’s no right or wrong way to make a homemade pizza! Simply add your favorite toppings (or whatever leftovers you have in the fridge) to a homemade or store bought pizza dough and bake it in the oven for an easy and delicious dinner!
Looking for something a little more gourmet that you can pair with a great glass of wine? Try this Butternut Squash Flatbread featuring sweet butternut squash, savory caramelized leeks, aromatic shallots, nutritious kale and sharp Gruyere for a delicious and healthier version of your basic pizza!
Butternut Squash Flatbread with Caramelized Leeks
soy-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, sugar-free, shellfish-oil, fish-free, bean & legume-free
- 1 whole wheat pizza dough (homemade or store-bought)
- 1/2 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped into small cubes
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 thin slices prosciutto, roughly chopped
- 3 stalks fresh kale, stalk removed and leaves torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Place cubed butternut squash on a baking sheet covered in foil (for easy cleanup). Coat with 2 Tbsp olive oil, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Bake uncovered in oven for 20-30 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While squash is baking, sauté the leeks. In a large skillet on medium-high heat, sauté leeks with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Stir frequently and cook until browned and caramelized (about 20 minutes).
- Add garlic and shallots to the leeks and cook another 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, massage kale pieces with 1 Tbsp olive oil until well coated.
- Place flatbread on a well-greased baking sheet. Assemble flatbread with sliced prosciutto, caramelized leek mixture, massaged kale, roasted butternut squash and top with Gruyere cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes until crust is crisp and cheese is melted. Be careful not to burn the kale.
- Slice and enjoy!
295 calories|34g carbohydrate|15g fat|10g protein|685mg sodium|4g sugar
At less than 300 calories per slice and a variety of colorful veggies, this healthy pizza beats delivery any night!