These tasty, dense rolls are packed with fiber and 7g of protein per roll! Whether you need a nutrient dense bread for a small lunch sandwich or the perfect accompaniment to a warm winter soup, these rye poppy seed buns are just for you!
Rye Poppy Seed Dinner Rolls
soy-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, shellfish-oil, fish-free, nightshade-free, bean & legume-free
Makes 10 buns
Adapted from The Nordic Diet
- 1 1/2 Tbsp dry active yeast
- 3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 +2 Tbsp spelt flour
- 2 1/2 cups dark rye flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 1 egg, beaten, to glaze
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- In a small bowl, whisk together yeast, yogurt, and honey.
- In a large bowl, combine flours and salt.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough for a few minutes.
- Return to bowl and cover with a paper towel. Let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400*F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll dough into 10 buns. Glaze with egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
193 calories|35g carbohydrate|2g fat|7g protein|138mg sodium|6g sugar
I finally got to use my new 50mm f/1.8 camera lense that I got for Christmas for this photo shoot! 🙂