What are you cooking for your guests this holiday season? If you’re like me, you might be spending the holiday season with family and friends who are not as health conscious as yourself. One question I often get is – what can I cook for my guests that is healthy (for me), tasty (for them), but not too out of the ordinary (you know how it goes…sometimes unfamiliar ingredients can make people hesitant to try new things…)? Enter the Morning Glory Loaf with Lemon Glaze! The perfect blend of nutritious and delicious!
This loaf is the perfect addition to any breakfast and is sure to please all your guests!
Morning Glory Loaf with Lemon Glaze
soy-free, peanut-free, shellfish-oil, fish-free, nightshade-free, bean & legume-free
Adapted from Blissfully Vegan
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, grated
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup skim milk (any milk or non-dairy milk will do)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup raisins, soaked for 5 minutes in warm water and drained
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
- 1-2 Tbsp lemon juice (for glaze)
- 1/2 – 1 cup powdered sugar (for glaze)
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine carrots, ground flax seed, maple syrup, milk, oil, vanilla, vinegar and lemon zest.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until no more dry spots remain.
- Fold in raisins, walnuts and coconut.
- Pour mixture into pan and bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and leave in pan for 10 additional minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- While cooling, make lemon glaze. Whisk together lemon juice and powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.
- Drizzle glaze over loaf and serve.
271 calories|40g carbohydrate|10g protein|4g protein|211mg sodium|29g sugar