Nothing says summer like strawberries and rhubarb!
I made a special trip to the Green City farmers market in Lincoln Park this morning for some fresh summer goodies! I came home with strawberries as sweet as candy, local melrose sweet peppers, juicy red currants, and of course a bundle of rhubarb.
This Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal Crumble is the perfect summer dessert for an all-American weekend!
Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal Crumble
vegetarian, soy-free, peanut-free, seed-free, shellfish-oil, fish-free, nightshade-free, bean & legume-free
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup kamut flour (or spelt flour)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup natural cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup natural cane sugar
- 1lb strawberries, hulled and cut into quarters
- 1lb rhubarb, trimmed and chopped
- Preheat oven to 375*F. Use 1 Tbsp butter to grease a 9×9-inch square baking pan. Melt remaining 1/3 cup butter.
- Combine flour, pine nuts, oats, sugar, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Mix in the butter using a fork. Using your hands, mash crumble topping into a couple fistfuls of batter. Return to bowl and place in the freezer to chill for 10 minutes.
- While crumble topping chills, make the filling. Whisk together corn starch and sugar in a large bowl. Add strawberries, rhubarb, and 1/8 cup water. Toss until evenly coated.
- Pour filling into baking dish. Remove topping from freezer and crumble on top of filling making sure you have both large and small sized crumbles to cover the filling.
- Bake on center rack for 40 minutes or until topping is golden brown and fruit is bubbling.
- Cook for 20 minutes before serving.
248 calories|28g carbohydrate|13g total fat|4g protein|70mg sodium|19g sugar
Dig in and enjoy!