On a busy day, my best friend is my crockpot. Nothing is better than coming home to a dinner that has been cooking itself while you’ve been away! After seeing Rick Bayless at the Good Food Festival last month, I grabbed one of his Frontera Seasoning Sauces at the grocery store last week to give it a try! I went with the Red Chile Barbacoa Slow Cook Sauce, a roasted tomato and ancho chile sauce that transforms beef chuck roast into a phenomenal barbacoa right in your slow cooker! And who doesn’t love a good barbacoa when it’s topped with delicious fresh veggies in a warm tortilla?
Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa Tacos
gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, shellfish-oil, fish-free, bean & legume-free
- 1 lb boneless beef chuck roast
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thick
- 1 package Frontera Red Chile Barbacoa Slow Cook Sauce
- 8 corn tortillas (warmed in a damp paper towel in the microwave)
- Taco toppings of choice: we used tomato, avocado, watercress, salsa, and lime juice
- In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp oil and brown both sides of the chuck roast.
- Place sliced onions at the bottom of the crockpot and place roast on top.
- Add package of sauce to crockpot to coat everything and cover.
- Set on low for 8 hours to cook.
- Remove meat from crockpot and shred apart using two forks and discarding any unwanted fat.
- Place meat back into crockpot to mix with onions and sauce.
- Assemble tacos and enjoy!
There are a few Frontera products I have tried that are too smoky for my liking, but this barbacoa sauce was excellent! Not to mention easy! The tacos were absolutely delicious and probably the most popular dish this week. I will definitely be putting this sauce on my grocery list again in the near future!