I’m always on the search for new and innovative ideas for veggie burgers! This one features red quinoa giving it a fabulous chewy and crunchy texture that I absolutely loved. However, with the added bun, it felt a little carbohydrate heavy, so next time I would be perfectly happy crumbling it over a salad instead!
Quinoa Oat and Pecan Veggie Burger
Adapted from Eating Well
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup red quinoa
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup shredded cheese (I used Monteray Jack, but Cheddar also works)
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 Tbsp -sodium soy sauce
- 6 whole wheat buns
- Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes until all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until starting to soften (about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic, marjoram and oregano. Cook until the mushrooms are tender (about 5 minutes).
- Beat egg in a medium bowl. Add the quinoa, mushroom mixture, cheese, pecans, oats, and soy sauce. Stir to combine. Scoop mixture into hand and shape into 6 patties. The mixture will be rather crumbly, but patting it into burgers on the baking sheet makes it easier to work with. The burgers hold together much better after baking.
- Bake the burgers for about 25 minutes or until crispy on the edges.
- Serve on whole wheat buns with your favorite garnishes.
373 calories|16g fat (2.5g saturated, 5g monounsaturated)|47g carbohydrate|15g protein|8g fiber|426g sodium
While each burger packs an awesome 15g of protein, unfortunately these would not be the best burgers for grilling this summer given how crumbly they are before cooking. Speaking of grilling, the weather in Chicago is FINALLY getting warm and I cannot wait to kickoff the summer grilling season soon!
Happy Earth Day!