Halibut was on crazy sale last weekend at Whole Foods, so I couldn’t help but cook some up for dinner last Sunday night! Instead of brown rice, I made a quick salad with Boston lettuce, watercress, radish, and avocado to serve the fish over. The weather in Chicago was finally a beautiful spring 60 degrees, so Will and I went for a quick 30 minute run out by the lake to enjoy it before enjoying dinner and a night of Game or Thrones!
Halibut with Garlic Almond and Caper Sauce
soy-free, dairy-free, peanut-free, seed-free, sugar-free, shellfish-oil, bean & legume-free
Adapted from Eating Well
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almonds, divided
- 3/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 egg whites
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 lb halibut (sole or flounder will also work). bones removed and cut into 4 pieces
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 up thinly sliced garlic
- 2 Tbsp capers
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 250*F.
- Pulse flour, 1/4 cup almonds and 1/2 tsp pepper in a food processor until finely ground. Transfer to a large plate.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg whites and water.
- Dip each piece of fish into egg wash and coat with flour mixture. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil. Cook fish in skillet until golden brown (about 4 minutes per side). Place in a baking sheet and place in oven to keep warm.
- Pulse remaining almonds in food processor until chopped. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in skillet. Add garlic and almonds and cook for 1 minute or until garlic is fragrant.
- Turn off heat and add capers, lemon juice and remaining ground pepper.
289 calories|16g fat (2g saturated, 10g unsaturated)|18g carbohydrate|18g protein|2g fiber|553mg sodium
If you love garlic as much as I do, you will fall in love with this caper sauce instantly!