Friday night’s Crossfit workout really beat me up.
- 21 Overhead Squats (@ 65#)
- 42 Pull-ups
- 15 Overhead Squats (@ 65#)
- 30 Pull-ups
- 9 Overhead Squats (@ 65#)
- 18 Pull-ups
All in under 15 minutes…
So it’s no wonder why I haven’t been able to move my arms all weekend. I even slept in until noon on Sunday…quite unlike me. So Sunday brunch was a little later in the afternoon than planned, but nevertheless, I got cooking!
Sage French toast with apples and maple chicken sausage with orange juice and a fruit salad of kiwi and banana!
Sage French Toast with Apples and Maple Chicken Sausage
Adapted from Fitness magazine
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 Tbsp fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1Tbsp olive oil
- 3 chicken apple sausages, sliced (I used Applegate Farms)
- 2 large apples, thinly sliced (I used the Braeburn apples I got from Fresh Picks)
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- Pure maple syrup (I personally love the robust flavors of a grade B syrup)
- Preheat oven to 200*F.
- Whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, 2 tsp sage, half the salt, and half the pepper. In a casserole dish, pour mixture to cover the bottom. Soak bread in mixture for about 2 minutes per side to absorb all of the liquid.
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Cook bread for 2 minutes per side until nicely browned. Wipe out casserole dish and place cooked toast into it. Cover with foil and place in the oven to keep warm.
- In skillet, heat olive oil and add sausage. Cook for about 5 minutes until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add apples, remaining sage, salt and pepper. Cook for about 3 minutes to brown the apples. Add apple juice and cook on low for about 7 minutes until soft.
- Add sausage back to pan and continue heating for 3 minutes until everything is warm.
- On plate, top French toast with apple and sausage mixture. Garnish with maple syrup before serving.
346 calories|13g fat (2.3 saturated)|41g carbohydrates|19g protein|5g fiber|745 mg sodium
Our hearts go out to those in Boston today.