Many of the foods sold on supermarket shelves today have unrecognizable ingredients. These items no longer resemble real food, but rather science experiments. Based on the ingredient list, can you identify these foods?
- Corn syrup, enriched flour, water, sugar, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil and/or animal shortening (contains one or more of: canola oil, corn oil, cottonseed oil, soybean oil, beef fat), eggs. Contains 2% or less of: modified food starch, whey, salt, leavening (baking soda, monocalcium phosphates, sodium acid pyrophosphate), mono- and diglycerides, lecithin, calcium casenate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, cellulose gun, polysorbate 60, natural and artificial flavors, artificial color (red 40 and yellow 5), sorbic acid (to retard spoilage)
- Carbonated water, caramel color, asparatame, phosphoric acid, potassium benzoate, caffeine, citric acid, natural flavors
- Enriched flour (niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, high fructose corn syrup, sunflower seeds, yeast. Contains 2% or less of: soybean oil, wheat gluten, salt, molasses, soy flour, corn meal, sesame seeds, triticale, oats, rye flour, barley, millet, buckwheat, rice flour, flax seeds, wheat bran, crushed wheat, ethoxylated mono- and diglycerides, monocalcium phosphate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, ammonium sulfate, calcium sulfate, ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide, enzymes, calcium propionate (preservatives)
- High fructose corn syrup, corn syrup water, natural and artificial flavors, cellulose gun, potassium sorbate (preservative), sodium citrate, citric acid, salt, natural and artificial flavor, caramel color
- Sugar, enriched wheat flour (contains niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vitamin B2), folic acid), vegetable shortening (partially hydrogenated soybean oil), cocoa (proceed with alkali), high fructose corn syrup, corn flour, whey, cornstarch, baking soda, salt, soy lecithin (emulsifier), vanillin (an artificial flavor), chocolate
- Vegetable oil (canola and/or soybean), water, egg yolk, sugar, salt, cultured nonfat buttermilk, natural flavor, spices. Less than 1% garlic, onion, vinegar, phosphoric acid, xanthan gum, modified food starch, monosodium glutamate, artificial flavors, disodium phosphate, sorbic acid and calcium disodium EDTA as preservatives, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate
ANSWERS: 1) Twinkies 2)Diet Pepsi 3) Multigrain Bread 4) Mrs. Buttersworth maple syrup 5)Oreos 6) Hidden Valley Ranch
How did you do? Are you amazed at how difficult it was to identify some foods based solely on their ingredient list? It’s quite disconcerting if you ask me. Don’t forget to always check food labels and be able to identify and recognize every single ingredient in the foods you purchase. Pride yourself on being a conscious consumer!