After a long night at crossfit I enjoyed some well deserved Vegetable Quinoa Winter Soup with Garlic Crostini for dinner! All I had to do was heat up the soup and bake the crostini for 5 minutes and dinner was served. My day of meal preparation is already paying off!
First things first though. Today’s crossfit WOD (for time):
- 30 air squats
- 15 front squats (55 – Rx was 65)
- 30 kettle bell swings (30 – Rx)
- 15 sumo deadlift high-pulls (55 – Rx was 65)
- 30 box jumps
- 15 push press (55 – Rx was 65)
- 400 meter row
I finished in 10:58 and only 10 pounds under Rx. Rx is the prescribed weight for women. Most beginners scale down, but I am slowly working my way up! I even made the crossfit blog; that’s me on the left! Sorry about the picture quality.
My killer workout was followed by dinner…
Vegetable Quinoa Winter Soup
vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, sugar-free, shellfish-oil, fish-free
adapted from Oh She Glows
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup red quinoa, uncooked
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 32oz low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups diced tomatoes, juice included
- 1 can aduki beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp curry powder
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- pinch of saffron threads
- Heat oil in large soup pot. Add onion and sauté over medium heat until soft. Add carrots, zucchini, and garlic. Sauté for another 5-7 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, tomatoes, quinoa, beans, and spices. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add spinach, stir, and cover. Simmer for another 30 minutes. As with all soups, the longer you let the soup simmer and set, the more flavor the soup will develop.
- Makes about 8-10 cups
adapted from Clean Food
- 6 slices Ciabatta bread
- Olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Fresh thyme and rosemary, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 450*F.
- Brush each slice of bread with olive oil and rub with garlic clove
- Bake for 3 minutes.
- Flip bread and do the same to the other side. Bake for another 3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with garlic powder, thyme and rosemary.
- Makes 6 slices.
Nothing like a warm bowl of soup on a cold winter night.