I saw this recipe on the Food Network on 30-Minute Meals this weekend and I couldn’t help but make it for dinner tonight! It was a unique spicy twist on a standard comfort food and boy was it a hit! While I can’t guarantee that this meal is in any way “low-fat” with all of its cheese and chorizo, it certainly was a delicious treat!
Spicy Chipotle Macaroni and Cheese
soy-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, seed-free, sugar-free, shellfish-oil, fish-free, bean & legume-free
- 1 lb cavatapi corkscrew pasta
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 15 oz chorizo (casing removed)
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups whole milk (I used half whole and half skim milk)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded smoked Cheddar
- Boil water in large pot and cook pasta according to directions. Drain pasta and return to pot.
- In nonstick skillet cook chorizo in 1 Tbsp olive oil until brown. Add tomatoes and heat until most of the liquid is cooked out. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a separate skillet sauté onions in 1 Tbsp olive oil with chipotle peppers and cook for 3-5 minutes. Increase heat and whisk in flour, milk, and chicken broth. Whisk until mixture begins to boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and continue to whisk until sauce thickens (about 5 minutes). Add cheese and mix well.
- Combine cheese mixture and chorizo mixture with pasta in pot. Mix well and serve. Sprinkle with extra shredded cheese is desired. Enjoy!
This dish is extremely addicting and it is certainly SPICY which luckily kept me from eating too much of it in one sitting!