The question as to whether or not buying organic foods is beneficial to our health is continuously up for debate in the nutrition world. Is it worth the extra expense to purchase organic produce, meat, and dairy products? We have listed for you a few perks to buying organically; you be the judge.
- Organically raised farm animals are not fed growth hormones or antibiotics (both of which could potentially be passed from meat to your body).
- Organic farm animals are not fed genetically modified foods. Other farm animals are fed ground up remains of their own kind leading to the production and spread of diseases (mad cow disease for example). Organically raised farm animals eat organic feed which is safer and nutrient rich.
- Organic meats come from farm animals that were raised under humane treatment. Requirements for raising these animals include stricter and safer guidelines that are less cruel.
- Manure is used as a natural fertilizer on organic farms. In non-organic factories, the over-crowding of animals leads to the dangerous overproduction of manure, which may end up in feed wells and lead to the spread E. coli and other pathogens. These pathogens could potentially contaminate your food.
- While some organic food items in the supermarket may be more expensive, it is important to note that the money you spend goes to supporting the local farm from which the food came from.
- Organic produce is grown without the use of synthetic ferilizers, pesticides, herbicides, or fungicides. These treatments are used to kill off insects, weeds, and fungus and are found to be carcinogenic in humans.
- Organic produce, meats, and dairy products taste better! Because of all the reasons listed above, many argue that organic foods are healthier and more natural and therefore taste better.
Do you choose to eat organic? Share your thoughts with us!